Re: libpq and multiple selects in a single query

From: "(dot)"(at)babolo(dot)ru
To: Tim Hart <tjhart(at)mac(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq and multiple selects in a single query
Date: 2002-12-28 09:33:45
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> I was musing a bit today, so don't take this to seriously...
>
> Would it be worth the effort to add to and/or modify the libpq API so
> that multiple selects could be sent to the server in a single request
> and response?
Multiple selects can be sent to the server now.
But as far as I unerstand only last result can
be fetched:
0>pgoblin -s
SELECT date(now());SELECT now()
2002-12-28 12:16:49.321118+03

pgoblin is my direct interface from command line to libpq
with some scripting enhancement

> Obviously, this is trivial from the command line...
> select * from foo; select * from bar;
You mean "from psql"?
psql is complex tool with its own parser and use
libpq to talk to server

> But - at least as far as I understand the libpq API - only one select
> can be issued using PQexec.
>
> In many of the apps I develop, I find that the majority of the time I
> have to go to the database for a select, I have to select from several
> tables. I haven't done any benchmarking, but given the rule-of-thumb
> that inter-process communication incurs high overhead, I decided that
Usually it is not true - compared to postmaster's
cost for every query.
...or may be... Do you issue PQsetdbLogin for every PQexec?

--
@BABOLO http://links.ru/