Re: MD5 PasswordPacket

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Badger <bruce_badger(at)BadgerSE(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MD5 PasswordPacket
Date: 2002-12-20 02:33:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Bruce Badger wrote:
> Where can I read up on the encoding of the String in the PasswordPacket
> required when I get an AuthenticationMD5Password message from the backend?

Read the source code. :-)

> I've looked at some code that implements the encoding, but reading the
> specification (the intent) would be most useful.

That string is encoded twice, once with the username string, and another
time with the random salt sent from the server.

> One question in particular springs to mind: can usernames and passwords
> be made up of multi-byte characters, and how does this affect the MD5
> encoding?

It should be fine, I think. The encoding is just a string if bytes to
MD5, and there is no encoding conversion done as part of that transfer.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us