Re: performance of insert/delete/update

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: performance of insert/delete/update
Date: 2002-11-26 01:41:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Scott,

> No offense meant, really. It's just that you seemed to really doubt that
> putting things into one transaction helped, and putting things into one
> big transaction if like the very first postgresql lesson a lot of
> newcomers learn. :-)

Not so odd, if you think about it. After all, this approach is only useful
for a series of small update/insert statements on a single connection.
Thinking about it, I frankly never do this except as part of a stored
procedure ... which, in Postgres, is automatically a transaction.

I'm lucky enough that my data loads have all been adaptable to COPY
statements, which bypasses this issue completely.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions