Re: How to dynamically call a column in plpgsql

From: Sigurdur Helgason <shelgason(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Henshall, Stuart - Design & Print" <SHenshall(at)westcountry-design-print(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to dynamically call a column in plpgsql
Date: 2002-10-28 13:12:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- "Henshall, Stuart - Design & Print"
<SHenshall(at)westcountry-design-print(dot)co(dot)uk> skrev: >
[previous stuff cut]
> I think something like the following should do:
> SELECT INTO cl_nm cons_col FROM constrait_1 WHERE
> EXECUTE ''SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE '' ||
> quote_ident(cl_nm) || ''=.......'';
> the plpgsql docs contain more docs for EXECUTE (such
> as when to use
> quote_ident)
> hth,
> - Stuart

Thanks Stuart, but either I am very tired today, or
you must have misunderstood me or my original question
was poorly phraised. Since I fail to see how your
answer helps me to access the 'cons_col' value in the
NEW record?

--
Say for example that NEW contains 3 columns: val1,
val2, val3

In contraints table the value of cons_col culumn
contains a string (either val1, val2 or val3).

if cons_col == "val1" I would like to read the
NEW.val1 value into a variable.

Regards
/Siggi

Gratis e-mail resten av livet på www.yahoo.se/mail