Re: 723 failed to compile [FreeBSD-4.7-STABLE]

From: Fernan Aguero <fernan(at)iib(dot)unsam(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 723 failed to compile [FreeBSD-4.7-STABLE]
Date: 2002-10-22 14:04:01
Lists: pgsql-ports

+----[ Esto dijo Tom Lane (tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us):

| Fernan Aguero <fernan(at)iib(dot)unsam(dot)edu(dot)ar> writes:
| > I guess that this might be the FreeBSD ports Makefile
| > messing things up. In FreeBSD all ports are compiled from a
| > Makefile (call it meta-Makefile) that sets some variables,
| > drives the inclusion of FBSD specific patches, provides for
| > a unified localization of non-system base binaries,
| > libraries, etc. I guess that either the Makefile for the
| > postgresql7 port (easy) or some of the more general bsd.*.mk
| > files (that are included in each ports makefile, more
| > difficult to fix, since this can break thousands of ports) is
| > conflicting with postgresql's own Makefiles.
|
| But how come we've not heard complaints from anyone else using FreeBSD?

Don't know, but:

i) you can always compile from sources without using the
FreeBSD ports system. Perhaps this kind of users don't see
this problems.

ii) Not all users carry the exact same FreeBSD ports tree.
Differences in the main bsd.*.mk files could have been
introduced after updating the postgresql7 port to 723. But
this is just a wild guess.

The problem I reported has been experienced by others.
See the following thread:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=263497+0+current/freebsd-ports
Based on this problem reports (PRs):

| regards, tom lane