Does setof record in plpgsql work well in 7.3?

From: Masaru Sugawara <rk73(at)sea(dot)plala(dot)or(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Does setof record in plpgsql work well in 7.3?
Date: 2002-09-29 10:51:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, all

Does 7.3 support "SETOF RECORD" in plpgsql ?
As far as I test it, a function using it in plpgsql always seems to return
no row. On the other hand, a sql function returns correct rows.

If 7.3 doesn't support it in plpgsql, I would think plpgsql needs to raise
an error rather than return "0 rows" message. Am I misunderstanding
how to use?

CREATE TABLE test (a integer, b text);
INSERT INTO test VALUES(1, 'function1');
INSERT INTO test VALUES(2, 'function2');
INSERT INTO test VALUES(1, 'function11');
INSERT INTO test VALUES(2, 'function22');

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION myfunc(integer) RETURNS SETOF record AS '
DECLARE
rec record;
BEGIN
FOR rec IN SELECT * FROM test WHERE a = $1 LOOP
RAISE NOTICE ''a = %, b = %'',rec.a, rec.b;
END LOOP;
RETURN rec;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

SELECT * FROM myfunc(1) AS t(a integer, b text);

NOTICE: a = 1, b = function1
NOTICE: a = 1, b = function11
a | b
---+---
(0 rows)

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION myfunc(integer) RETURNS SETOF record AS '
SELECT * FROM test WHERE a = $1;
' LANGUAGE 'sql';

SELECT * FROM myfunc(1) AS t(a integer, b text);

a | b
1 | function1
1 | function11
(2 rows)