Re: Open 7.3 items

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.3 items
Date: 2002-07-31 20:43:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Point-in-time recovery - ready for 7.3?
>
> At the moment, it doesn't exist at all. If patches appear, we can
> review 'em, but right now there is nothing to debate.

Yes, I listed it just to keep it on the radar.

> > Win32 - timefame?
>
> I've seen nothing to make me think this will be ready for 7.3.

Same.

> > Schema handling - ready? interfaces? client apps?
>
> The backend will be ready (it's not quite yet). pg_dump is ready.
> psql is very definitely not ready, nor is pgaccess. I don't know the
> status for JDBC or ODBC; any comments? The other interface libraries
> probably don't care.

We should generate a list of subitems here.

> > Dependency - pg_dump auto-create dependencies for 7.2.X data?
>
> Huh?

Can we create table/sequence dependency linking on loads; same with
other dependencies? If not, we are going to have trouble with the
dependency code only working some times. This could be a serious
confusion for users. We coded some of our stuff assuming the linkage
will always be present, but a load from 7.2 may not have it. What are
the ramifications?

> > glibc and mktime() - fix?
>
> We need a fix for this. Dunno what to do about it.

I have proposed a fix of placing a fixed mktime earlier in the link line
but no one has supplied a fixed mktime for me.

> Other things on my radar screen:
>
> * I have about zero confidence in the recent tuple-header-size-reduction
> patches.

I have great confidence Manfred Koizar and his work. I know you want
some checks added to the code and he will do that when he returns. I
will mention this in the open items list.

improve macros in new tuple header code

> * pg_conversion stuff --- do we understand this thing's behavior under
> failure conditions? Does it work properly with namespaces and
> dependencies?

Seems Tatsuo says it is OK.

> * pg_dumpall probably ought to dump database privilege settings, also
> per-user and per-database GUC settings.

Added:

have pg_dumpall dump out db privilege and per-user/db settings

> * BeOS and QNX4 ports are busted.

Added:

fix BeOS and QNX4 ports
> * The whole area of which implicit coercions should be allowed is a
> serious problem that we have not spent enough time on. There are
> a number of cases in which CVS tip is clearly broken compared to
> prior releases.

Oh. I didn't know that. Added:

fix implicit type coercions that are worse

> * Bear Giles' SSL patches seem to be causing unhappiness in some
> quarters.

I believe it is only the interfaces/ssl directory I created from his
patch when I didn't know what to do with it. I wanted to remove it but
someone said it was good stuff and we should give the author until beta
to address it. Added to TODO:

remove interfaces/ssl if not improved

> * libpqxx is not integrated into build process nor docs. It should
> be integrated or reversed out before beta.

Added:

integrate or remove new libpqxx

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us