Re: Trim the Fat (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items )

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trim the Fat (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items )
Date: 2002-07-31 18:12:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 02:36:43PM -0300, Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> When you install freebsd or linux, is it a problem that all the
> perl modules you need have to fetched from cpan ? why can't they
> call just be part of the OS ?'

Well, not just part of the OS, but part of Perl. And after all, Perl
_does_ include a fabulous variety of built-in modules.

> likewise with dns servers, samba, apache etc.. this is a bit of a stretched
> example
> but the point is the same.

Actually, the comparison is apt. There's a reason people suggest
using your distribution's PHP or Zope or what-have-you packages,
rather than installing from source: an inexperienced user with these
packages could easily spend several days trying to figure out all the
bits to install. Obviously, such people are new users, and a
learning curve is expected. But given recent hand-wringing about the
relative "mind-share" of Postgres &c., it seems perverse to make a
new user have to find out (probably by asking on a mailing list) that
basic stuff like client libraries are a whole separate package, which
needs to be dealt with separately. It _would_ be nice, though, to be
able to get just the client stuff for sure. And maybe the separation
is worth it; I just want to be sure that people know the effect on
users.

----
Andrew Sullivan 87 Mowat Avenue
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada