Re: WAL file location

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL file location
Date: 2002-07-31 12:41:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 02:00:52AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> let alone how to configure it so that it works reliably. I really
> fail to understand why you want to drive this new feature off environment
> variables. You say you've "pointed out the utility and desirability"
> of doing it that way, but I sure missed it; would you explain again?

Without wishing to argue for one direction or another, do I have this
description of the options right:

a. The system uses no environment variables at all; some other
method is used to determine where the config file is (maybe compiled
into the code);
b. The system might use only one environment variable, which
sets the data dir;
c. The system (in some cases optionally) uses several
environment variables to set options. Some of these may be set in
the config file as well.

If I understand it, nobody is really arguing for (a).

I think the argument for (b), from a security point of view, is that
it is simpler: fewer variables offer fewer points of attack. Also,
from the point of view of support, (b) is simpler, because with only
one possible environment variable issue, there will be fewer
troubles. (I have my doubts about the latter, but never mind that
now.)

I think the argument for (c) is that it is maximally flexible.
Allowing a DBA to manage things in whatever way s/he is comfortable
allows for competent administration. If it is a potential foot gun,
well, there are already plenty of those.

Is this a fair account?

----
Andrew Sullivan 87 Mowat Avenue
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada