Bug #717: timestamp is converted to timestamptz

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug #717: timestamp is converted to timestamptz
Date: 2002-07-23 15:45:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Donald Fraser (demolish(at)gtonline(dot)net) reports a bug with a severity of 3

Short Description
timestamp is converted to timestamptz

Long Description
When specifying a column data type as timestamp it is always converted to timestamptz.
According to the documentation on types, there is a difference between timestamp and timestampz, yet the only place that I can find documentation that says timestamp will be converted to timestamptz is in the source code (gram.y).
As a work around I found that using the ANSI SQL DATETIME type, it is converted to type timestamp.
The annoyance is that progams such as pgAdminII only allow you to specify column data types for those specified by the backend system. That is DATETIME is not available as a column data type.

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report