Re: FIX: NetBSD/cobalt now compiles 7.2.1

From: rmurray(at)debian(dot)org
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Warwick Hunter <whunter(at)agile(dot)tv>, Ian Spray <pgsql(at)borg(dot)minimal(dot)cx>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: FIX: NetBSD/cobalt now compiles 7.2.1
Date: 2002-06-11 18:34:02
Lists: pgsql-ports

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 02:05:34PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Warwick Hunter <whunter(at)agile(dot)tv> writes:
> > There was a patch submitted a while ago that doesn't
> > seem to have been rolled into 7.2.1 that fixes this.
> > It does it by patching s_lock.c to add the set .mips2
> > assembler directive. The patch is attached.
>
> The s_lock change is in current sources, but it concerns me because it
> seems it could break other mips-based platforms (ie, pre-mips2). I'd

The Linux kernel will emulate ll/sc on mips1 platforms. If other kernels
won't/don't do this, then this should be made Linux/mips specific.

> vote for reverting that change and putting in Ian's template change
> instead --- which for anyone not paying attention, was:

Please do _not_ revert the change. Making it linux specific would be fine,
however.

> Seems to me the template tweak would be a lot simpler to hack around on a
> per-installation basis if needed.
>
> Comments?

Prebuilt binaries provided by distributions like Debian often build for the
lowest common ISA that will work on all of the available hardware, so every
binary in the distribution is built for mips1, with the addition of ll/sc,
being emulated by the kernel, or done in hardware (if available)

--
Ryan Murray, Debian Developer (rmurray(at)cyberhqz(dot)com, rmurray(at)debian(dot)org)
The opinions expressed here are my own.