Re: [HACKERS] Schemas: status report, call for developers

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bill Cunningham <billc(at)ballydev(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Schemas: status report, call for developers
Date: 2002-06-08 05:42:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I am a little uncomfortable about this. It means that CREATE TABLE will
> > create a table in 'public' if the user doesn't have a schema of their
> > own, and in their private schema if it exists. I seems strange to have
> > such a distinction based on whether a private schema exists. Is this OK?
>
> You have a better idea?
>
> Given that we want to support both backwards-compatible and SQL-spec-
> compatible behavior, I think some such ugliness is inevitable.

I don't have a better idea, but I am wondering how this will work. If I
create a schema with my name, does it get added to the front of my
schema schema search path automatically, or do I set it with SET,
perhaps in my per-user startup SET column?

If I want to prevent some users from creating tables in my database, do
I remove CREATE on the schema using REVOKE SCHEMA, then create a schema
for every user using the database?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us