Bug #682: current_timestamp reporting time incorrectly

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug #682: current_timestamp reporting time incorrectly
Date: 2002-06-05 08:38:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Colin Mangiagalli (colin(at)camara(dot)co(dot)za) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
current_timestamp reporting time incorrectly

Long Description
Postgresql Version: PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on i686-pc-cygwin, compiled by GCC 2.95.3-5
Cygwin dll: 1.3.10
Operating system: Windows 2000 Service Pack 2
Processor: Intel Pentium III 1 Ghz
Bios: Award Moduler Bios v6.00pg

When I start postmaster and run 'select CURRENT_TIMESTAMP;', the date and time are correct. After a hour, I run 'select CURRENT_TIMESTAMP;' and see that the time is not the same as the system clock, in fact it is quite far behind.

Steps to recreate problem:
1. Start postmaster
2. connect to database using psql
3. Issue 'select current_timestamp;' (The time should be synchronized with operating system).
4. Wait 5 minutes (or shorter)
5. Issue 'select current_timestamp;' (The time has lapsed behind)

Sample Code
select current_timestamp;

No file was uploaded with this report