Re: PostgreSQL windows native port available

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: robert(dot)collins(at)itdomain(dot)com(dot)au
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL windows native port available
Date: 2002-05-10 10:28:41
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le Vendredi 10 Mai 2002 11:21, Dave Page a écrit :
> I think that a stripped down cygwin version is the (easy) way forward. I
> think that's what MySQL do, certainly the cygwin dll is distributed with
> it. All that is really required is the rewriting of probably pg_dumpall,
> initdb & initlocation - the rest of the scripts aren't needed, and a
> binary-only version would then be easy bar licencing issues.
>
> Writing an installer is easy enough as well...

Dear Robert,

Dave Page, pgAdmin2 author (http://pgadmin.postgresql.org), and I have been
discussing for a long time to find a proper way to distribute PostgreSQL
using a minimal Cygwin layer. Do not hesitate to correct me if I am wrong :

Dear Dave,

Robert Collins wrote me to explain quite a few tricks about Cygwin setup.exe
installer:

1) Latest CVS Cygwin setup.exe supports scripting. I don't know in what extent
installation features are mapped. At least, this means we should try the
latest CVS version.

2) setup.exe is not needed if you know WHICH packages are required (with no
relation to scripting). You simply need to provide path and everything in a
proper setup.ini file. Et voilà.

Setup.exe would be installed by our installer in the proper folder but not
used. Users could possibly run setup.exe for upgrades.

3) setup.exe supports post-installation scripts. This may allow us to make a
minimal PostgreSQL install of Template1, enable a TCP/IP socket, etc...
inside a Cygwin package (example : run a bash script or connect locally using
SSH to su under postgres user). Otherwize, we could do it manually using an
installer script.

Good news, no?
Cheers, Jean-MIchel