Re: [INTERFACES] Schemas: status report, call for developers

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Schemas: status report, call for developers
Date: 2002-05-01 05:21:46
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 12:56:00AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I'm willing to implement whatever clever solution we all come up with.
>
> If you need help in inventing a solution, it'd be a good idea to explain
> the problem. Personally I'm not familiar with GNUe ...

I think all the interfaces are having the same fundemental problem: how to
limit the tables 'seen' to a particular list of schema (those in the path).

GNUe is GNU Enterprise System - a somewhat grandiose name for a business
middleware solutions project. It's highly modular, with a common core to
deal with things like DB access. There's a reasonably nice forms designer
to handle quickie 2-tier DB apps (client-server, skip the middleware).

Right now, it's mostly coded in python. I'm taking off on a
business trip for the remainder of the week, starting tomorrow (err
today?!) morning. I'll take the GNUe code along and see what it's db
schema discovery code is actually doing, and think about what sort of
clever things to do. I think for GNUe, we might get away with requiring
the end-user (designer) to select a particular schema to work in, and then
just qualify everything.

Later,
Ross