Re: Help for incremental backup

From: "Joshua b(dot) Jore" <josh(at)greentechnologist(dot)org>
To: "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: 'Neeraj' <neeraj(at)intelesoftech(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help for incremental backup
Date: 2002-04-30 17:10:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

> > From: Neeraj [mailto:neeraj(at)intelesoftech(dot)com]
> >
> > I m using POSTGRESQL as backend.I need to take the INCREMENTAL backup
> > of the database.But I am unable to find any way to fulfill my
> > requirement.So its a request to you to help me in this case.
> > I will be thankful for this..

Ok, so here's an idea. You could track row creation/modification timestamps
and just copy off the data that has changed in a given period. I don't do
this specific task but you could adapt this idea for your use.

Check out http://www.greentechnologist.org/political/Voter/dev. The tables
exist in 2_tables.sql. Look for the Audit table and then note how the other
tables inherit from it. It uses a sequence to keep the most recent changes
up front for the auditsomething view. There are some important triggers in
5_trig.sql. Specifically AuditIns() and AuditUpd(). You'll note that all
the child tables use the same trigger which just says that CreatedDate is
only set at creation time and ModifiedDate is always updated.

---
Joshua b. Jore
http://www.greentechnologist.org