Re: Vote totals for SET in aborted transaction

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vote totals for SET in aborted transaction
Date: 2002-04-25 19:01:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > Okay, based on this, I'm pseudo-against ... I think, for reasons of
> > reducing headaches for ppl posting, there should be some sort of 'SET
> > oracle_quirks' operation that would allow for those with largish legacy
> > apps trying to migrate over to do so without having to check for "odd"
> > behaviours like this ...
> >
> > Or maybe "SET set_rollbacks = oracle"? with default being #1 as discussed
>
> Yes, I understand. However, seeing that we have gone 6 years with this
> never being an issue, I think we should just shoot for #1 and keep open
> to the idea of having a compatibility mode, and the possibility that #1
> may not fit for all SET variables and we may have to do some special
> cases for those.
>
> My guess is that we should implement #1 and see what feedback we get in
> 7.3.

IMHO, it hasn't been thought out well enough to be implemented yet ... the
options have been, but which to implement haven't ... right now, #1 is
proposing to implement something that goes against what *at least* one of
DBMS does ... so now you have programmers coming from that environment
expecting one thing to happen, when a totally different thing results ...