Libpq lock up

From: Mihnea Balta <dark(at)dark(dot)vodanet(dot)ro>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Libpq lock up
Date: 2002-04-14 10:56:58
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi.

I'm using libpq in several apps. If I keep a connection open for a long time
(hours) and pass a large amount of queries through it, it finally locks in a
select() syscall. I'm freeing the previous result set (if it exists) before
making a new query, so I suppose it's not an out-of-memory/handles problem.
My platform used to be linux 2.4.9 / glibc 2.1.3 / postgres 7.2.1.

Now I've moved postgres on a linux 2.4.18 / glibc 2.2.3, but in the mean time
I modified my apps to buffer stuff and connect to the database each time they
need to perform a query, so I don't know if upgrading glibc solved the
problem.

Has anyone encountered a simmilar problem so far? Now I've got to write an app
that performs a fair amount of queries and I'd rather not disconnect/connect
to the backend for each one of them. Buffering is not well seen in this case
either, because loosing buffered data due to an application crash is bad
karma.

Thanks in advance ;)