Re: Adding usernames to pg_hba.conf

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding usernames to pg_hba.conf
Date: 2002-03-19 13:45:54
Lists: pgsql-patches

Rod Taylor wrote:
> I see.. @ denotes a list of users in a file.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to simply allow groups to be specified
> (groups from pg_group)?
>
> In my case any group I would specify for connection purposes I've
> already created for permission purposes.

Yes, groups would be a very logical thing to have in pg_hba.conf.
Unfortunately, we don't have pg_group information available to the
postmaster.

The only thing I can think of is to dump the groups out as files and
enable those in pg_hba.conf, perhaps just like we allow @file includes.
I would probably use % for group names and dump them in data/global.

How does that sound?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us