Getting name of sequence for a table

From: Nicolas Ribot <nicolas(dot)ribot(at)scot(dot)cnes(dot)fr>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Getting name of sequence for a table
Date: 2002-03-15 09:18:59
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to get the name of sequences created
for a table by an SQL query ?

Ex: I have a parcel table, with a sequence created on it for the PK
column.
A java program, that doesn't know this sequence name needs to retrieve
the unique ID of the object recently inserted into the parcel table.
I would like to do something like
select currval( (select seqname from pg_xxx where table_name='parcel')
).

I looked at the pg_class system table and see both my table and its
sequence, but do not find a way to join them in a query.

Thanx for any help.

Nicolas Ribot
SCOT
nri(at)scot(dot)cnes(dot)fr