pg equivalent to MS SQL exec command

From: Ugly Hippo <ugly_hippo(at)yahoo(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg equivalent to MS SQL exec command
Date: 2002-03-06 16:36:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I have moved a database from MS SQL to PG and am now
trying to move my stored procedures. I have created a
PG function and am trying to figure out how to execute
it without using a trigger. In MS, I would type 'exec
stored_procedure_name'. Is there an equivalent in PG.
I have tried the 'execute' command but that seems to
work only within a function. I wish to execute this
function when I feel like it, not on a fixed schedule.
Did I miss something in the documentation?

Thanks,
Troy