Re: phone

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: phone
Date: 2002-02-24 12:53:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here is Peter's analysis of our current 7.3 backlog:

http://candle.pha.pa.us/cgi-bin/pgpatches2

Well, since I'm complaining I might as well go through the patches files:

patches (48 hour queue)
=======

* Whatever ... JDBC build patch

Has been rejected 5 times before and ain't gonna change now.

* Patch to add CREATE OPERATOR CLASS

I don't like that syntax. The internal functionality is probably OK. I
suggest the author resubmit the last patch and we can check it out.

* BUG and FIX: getTables - SYSTEM TABLE

Is this really a patch or just an observation? The JDBC people should
know.

* ECPG patches: get descriptor NULL alloc, external names

Don't know. (Although Cristof's ECPG patches tend to be good.)

* stupid patch of pg_dumplo

See Karel's comments. Also, I'd like to consider pg_dumplo obsolete.

* Support for QNX6, POSIX IPC and PTHREAD-style locking

Patch needs serious cleanups in build system. Should be split into two or
more patches for generic QNX6 support and for the locking and IPC changes.

* Numeric decimal digits and radix to DatabaseMetaData.getColumns()

Not sure how to treat "little patches" that don't explain what they do.

* Libpq support for precision and scale

Tom had lots of issues with it. I don't like the patch at all.

* Patch to add Heimdal kerberos support, with patch

I'm working on that right now.

* Patch : Re: JDBC improvements

Check with JDBC developers.

* Heimdal Kerberos 5 support in 7.1.3

Working on that.

* [HACKERS]

More QNX6 stuff that's even less polished. These two patches will need to
be merged I guess.

* PQunescapeBytea libpq function

Seems reasonable. I think there's an PQescapeBytea function already. So
it would make sense. Haven't checked the actual behaviour though.

* psql \timing patch

Looks OK. Will check out closer soon.

* Updated TODO item

Have the author throw the latest patch up for review.

* Undocumented feature costs a lot of performance in COPY

Not sure what this is supposed to do.

* Makefile.aix patch for shlib's

Should probably have been applied already?

* Locale support for postgresql regex (src)

Does not support multibyte. But the issue might be worth a TODO item.
("Make regex character classes respect locale")

* COPY when 'filename' is a directory

Seems OK

* Problem in ResultSet#getTimestamp() of 7.2b4

Don't know.

* postgresql-7.2b3-betterquote.patch

This affects the Python interface. Ask D'Arcy.

* contrib: int_array_aggregator() int_array_enum()

I can't understand the description given.

* Locale support for postgresql regex (src)

Does not support multibyte. But the issue might be worth a TODO item.
("Make regex character classes respect locale")

* enable debugging in jdbc

OK if JDBC people agree.

* Fix for non-blocking connections in libpq

Run this by the list one more time for review.

* GiST code cleanup

Run it by someone who knows.

* contrib/DBMirror (Replication)

I'd be hesitant to add more maybe-replication solutions to contrib.

* JDBC Connection startup cleaned up

Let JDBC folks handle this.

* Cygwin plperl patch

OK to check in.

* hashing improvements

Tom Lane didn't protest the last patch, so it seems OK.

* pg_ctl - tighten command parameter checking

Not portable. But you might want to add to TODO something like, In shell
scripts make sure that options requiring arguments get arguments, to
prevent overshifting.

* Make equals sign optional in CREATE DATABASE WITH param = 'val'

Seems OK.

* Updates errors_zh_TW.properties of JDBC driver

OK

* TOAST-slicing: substring access methods for TOASTed values.

I'd like to see the description posted to the list so everyone knows what
we're getting. Maybe this was already done, but I can only find little
feedback.

* Added Encoding

Tatsuo liked it. That's good enough for me. But he wanted to see some
documentation updates.

patches2 (unfiltered queue)
========

* nocreatetable for 7.1.2

Obsoleted by schema work (fingers crossed)

* KSQO parameter

Evidently not wanted by Tom Lane

* Index location patch for review

Objected to by Tom Lane on -hackers today.

* CLUSTER TODO item

Ask Tom. Probably should look at the whole patch at least once more.

* Combining chars in psql

Well, it says "pre-patch".

* Select * from cursor foo

No idea.

* IPv6 Support for INET/CIDR types

Currently under discussion on -hackers. Needs work on output format.

* Efficient slicing/substring of TOAST values

See under "patches".

* Proposed new create command, CREATE OPERATOR CLASS

See under "patches".

* Storage Location Patch Proposal for V7.3

This is just a proposal, nowhere near final.

* DBD::Pg BYTEA Character Escaping

This does not contain a patch and we don't maintain DBD::Pg anyway.

* Added Encoding

See under "patches".

* Locale timings

Well, this is my material, which I will get to in a few weeks perhaps.

* Libpq support for precision and scale

See above under "patches".

* Backend error message style issues

This is my material again.

* date formatting and tab-complete patch

Let's hang on to that one for a little. It's a good idea, but it needs
some reformatting.

* Pl/Tcl problem

Andreas Zeugwetter had a patch for this, which we should work with.

* Problem compiling postgres sql --with-tcl

same

* system catalog relation of a table and a serial sequence

I think we found that dumping dependencies by default is not such a hot
idea after all. The original patch had problems, and I didn't see a good
one after that. There were some issues raised that we might want to
discuss again.

* Thoughts on the location of configuration files, how about this

We still have the problem of securing the moved config files.

* Submittal for JDBC Pooling driver (For 7.3)

Better ask the JDBC guys.

* patch: INSERT INTO t VALUES (a, b, ..., DEFAULT, ...)
* TODO question

These appear to go together. Not sure what the last patch really is. Ask
the author.

* Casting Varchar to Numeric

... is just a bad idea.

* Updated TODO item

See above.

* Undocumented feature costs a lot of performance in COPY

Not sure what this is supposed to do.

* Some interesting results from tweaking spinlocks

This is only a suggestion, not a patch.

* --with-tcl build on AIX (and others) fails

See Tcl above. I can take care of those.

* Makefile.aix patch for shlib's

Should probably have been applied already?

* notify support for DBD::Pg

Does not live here.

* postgresql-7.2b3-betterquote.patch

This affects the Python interface. Ask D'Arcy.

* Locale support for postgresql regex (src)

Does not support multibyte. But the issue might be worth a TODO item.
("Make regex character classes respect locale")

* LISTEN/NOTIFY support in JDBC driver?

The message says it's already applied.

* guc

This patch was effectively rejected. The TODO item "Add SET REAL_FORMAT
and SET DOUBLE_PRECISION_FORMAT using printf args" has effectively been
rejected with it. What we want is to be able to print floating-point
numbers in a portable binary representation (sprintf("%a")) for the
purposes of pg_dump.

* contrib: int_array_aggregator() int_array_enum()

I can't understand the description given.

* Which perl5 Pg to use? Who maintains it?

We do. At least.

* pl/pgsql Composite Parameter Question

Not a patch. Maybe a TODO.

* enable debugging in jdbc

See under patches.

* libpq++

Not sure what this is doing in the patch queue.

* C++: PgDatabase or PgConnection and lifetime of the objects?

Same.

* Fix for non-blocking connections in libpq

Run this by the list one more time for review.

* libpq not reentrant

No patch there. Maybe a TODO.

* ERROR (Bug?) in RULE processing ?

Don't know, but there's not a patch there.

* new module contrib/tree for 7.2 ?

Don't know the status.

* GiST code cleanup

Run it by someone who knows.

* contrib/DBMirror (Replication)

See under patches.

* JDBC Connection startup cleaned up

Let JDBC folks handle this.

* Cygwin plperl patch

OK to check in.

The remaining items are recent and possibly still under discussion. I
don't know the latest status on them.

-
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us