Re: Pseudo modification of views and triggers ( again)

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pseudo modification of views and triggers ( again)
Date: 2002-02-20 09:21:18
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le Mercredi 20 Février 2002 09:17, Dave Page a écrit :
> BTW, have you been following the discussion on pgsql-hackers about the
> ongoing pl/pgSQL drop column code?

Yes, sounds interesting but the code will probably be very close to ours.
But, didn't we say no PL/pgSQL in our previous discussions? pgAdmin2 is
intended for a large audience, so better if no PL/pgSQL is required.

What I see in pgSchema is a powerfull pseudo "CREATE TABLE foo_new AS"
clause to copy schema information with selected linked objects (indexes,
columns, primary key, triggers, rules, etc...). We only have to move data
between tables, drop the old table and rename the new one.

This is more powerfull than hidding deleted columns AND it can be used to
reorder columns.

By the way, there seems to be anoyther way to modify a primary key : create a
unique index foo_new, drop the primary key foo, and rename foo_new to foo.
What do you think?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel