Re: [ODBC] Unicode support

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Nhan Ngo Dinh <nngodinh(at)tiscali(dot)it>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ODBC] Unicode support
Date: 2002-02-19 07:34:53
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-odbc

> 1) When I try to view tables from Access XP, the arabic letters are not
> correctly displayed: I can see only the multibyte to single byte 1:1
> conversion. This is not that important because I don't need to see it in
> Access because the database will be seen through PHP on the web.

The odbc driver does not support UTF-8 yet.

> 2) The most critical problem is that I cannot convert a table with both
> french letters with accents and arabic letters. Pgadmin seems to refuse
> french characters. So I've erased french records (at least records with
> accents) and the database has been transferred.

The French letters are correctly stored in PostgreSQL. The problem comes from
pgAdmin2 / odbc.

> As far as I can see the unicode text file from Microsoft SQL Server is not
> fully UTF-8 standard, but maybe I'm wrong.
>
> On the postgresql server side there is the message:
> ERROR: Invalid UNICODE character sequence found (0xe974e9)
> So E9 74 E9 is "été" ("société" field in the 5th record)

Can you test displaying you data in Apache / Php. I tried displaying UTF-8
data in Windows but never ***ever*** succedeed.

Please give us more details :
- What is the encoding of you source data
- What is your platform (Win2000, XP),
- Do yo have Access 2K?
- Do you have access to an Apache/PHP platform?

Also, keep in mind pgAdmin2 and the odbc driver are not UTF-8 compliant yet.
So if you plan to use Windows / odbc / PostgreSQL / UTF-8 it will not work.
Windows can only be used during migration of UTF-8 data.

I can only help you if the data is to be used on an Apache/php platform.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE