Re: unique & update

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Ben-Nes Michael <miki(at)canaan(dot)co(dot)il>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: unique & update
Date: 2002-01-30 17:06:58
Lists: pgsql-general

> > Unfortunately no, we don't support deferred unique constraint afaik and
> > the unique constraint we have isn't quite correct according to spec (yes,
> > the above should work). Technically we should be checking the after all
> > updates have occurred, but iirc we do it on the insert into the index
> > which is why this happens.
> Will 7.2 support it ?
> If not do you have estimate time to when it will be supported ?

Unfortunately not in 7.2. I don't know how big a change it'd be. Since
I'm not personally planning to work on it (seems more low level than I'm
ready for), I don't know of an ETA.

> Can you tip me how to create trigger thats do uniqueness check ?

Hmm, actually it looks like it might be a bit complicated to get the
locking right for concurrent connections (might require something like
the foreign key constraints) although the single connection one is easy.