Bug #566: Primary key not working correctly with inheritance

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug #566: Primary key not working correctly with inheritance
Date: 2002-01-23 15:47:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Adrian Bool (aid(at)logic(dot)org(dot)uk) reports a bug with a severity of 3

Short Description
Primary key not working correctly with inheritance

Long Description
Hi,

Just started out with postgres (2 days so far!). I am intrested in it's inheritance abilities.

I have come across something that seems to be a bug as far as I can make out.

See the simple extract in the example code section.

The second insert should not be allowed as it breaks the primary key's unqiueness. However postgres allows it's insertion.

If one tries to insert directly into 'parent' the problem does not come about - the second insertion is rejected correctly.

The same applies with the 'unique' constraint - which I think should
also apply to child tables.

This is in Postgres 7.1.3 - standard RedHat 7.1 build.

Hope this is indeed a bug and I've not been wasting your time with my newness to postgres.

Regards,

aid

Sample Code
create table parent
(
id integer primary key
) ;

create table child
(
name varchar (30)
) inherits (parent) ;

insert into child values ( 1, 'Adrian' ) ;
insert into child values ( 1, 'John' ) ;

No file was uploaded with this report