Using a tablename as a parameter to a function.

From: Stephen Ingram <ingram(at)samsix(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using a tablename as a parameter to a function.
Date: 2001-12-20 22:45:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi there,

Is it possible (legal syntax, I mean) to pass a tablename
as a parameter to a function?

I don't know if its impossible or just that my plpgsql code is
not up to scratch.

Don't laugh, I'm just starting! :)

Thanks for any pointers anyone can give.

steve

drop function testfunc( text );

create function testfunc( text ) returns int
as
'
declare
rowcount int := 0;

tablename alias for $1;

begin

-- ----------------------------------------------------------
-- Report on the number of entries in the table.

select into rowcount count(*) from tablename;

return rowcount;

end;
'
language 'plpgsql';