Re: 7.2b3 pg_dump, general 7.2b3 comments

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Joe Conway <joseph(dot)conway(at)home(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.2b3 pg_dump, general 7.2b3 comments
Date: 2001-11-30 00:59:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday 29 November 2001 01:27 am, Tom Lane wrote:
> Joe Conway <joseph(dot)conway(at)home(dot)com> writes:
> > BTW, after your first reply, I started to load the new pg_dump into gdb
> > and discovered it had no debug symbols (recall I installed from RPM). Is
> > there a way to install the RPM with additional configure options without
> > rebuilding it?

> Don't know; certainly you'd have to recompile, but I dunno if you have
> to modify the source RPM or not. Lamar?

Hmmm. You know, it would be a good idea, IMHO, to enable debugging symbols in
the beta RPMs anyway. So, I will do that for the next beta (or release
candidate -- although, with that report from Jan, I wonder what the next
release will be).

In the meantime, Joe, if you can rebuild the RPM from source, here's what to
do:
1.) rpm -i the source RPM.
2.) If you've never built from a source RPM before, see
/usr/share/docs/postgresql-7.2b3/README.rpm-dist for some more information.
3.) Edit the spec file (on Red Hat, that would be in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS,
name of 'postgresql.spec'), adding the following line near the top:
%define __os_install_post /usr/lib/rpm/brp-compress
4.) Add the configure option. The rpm build process by default runs strip on
the binaries.....
5.) rpm -ba postgresql.spec, wait a few minutes for the build, and pick up
your RPMs in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386.

Or you can just wait until I upload a set with that line in it..... :-)

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio