ALTER OR REPLACE feature

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ALTER OR REPLACE feature
Date: 2001-11-22 11:01:54
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-hackers

Dear friends

I was surprised to notice that INTERBASE already has more than a dozen
graphical administration interfaces:
- http://www.interbase2000.org/tools_dbman.htm,
- http://delphree.clexpert.com.

In my dreams, I would welcome ALTER OR REPLACE VIEW + ALTER OR REPLACE
TRIGGER (sorry, this is on my whish list again). Without these two features,
this is not easily ***possible*** to build a graphical admin & IDE interface
for PostgreSQL.

KDE3/QT3 makes it possible to build cross-platform database administration
tools. We don't need a dozen of them, just one good IDE with migration
features from MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL, Interbase...

The community is waiting for ALTER OR REPLACE, my friends... We also need
ALTER TABLE DROP FIELD, but this is probably more tricky.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE