Inserting/updating large text fields w/libpq

From: Jeremy Wohl <jeremyw-pginterfaces(at)igmus(dot)org>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Inserting/updating large text fields w/libpq
Date: 2001-11-01 10:33:11
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi folks,

How does one insert large 'text' fields via libpq? That is, data in
insert/update statements that exceed the 16K limit in stock 7.1.3 setups.

For the moment, I'm iterating over a concat (column = column || 'next chunk'),
but that's ~64 net trips for my average 1meg entries.

I suspect there's a coming, unimplemented API for these types opened up by
TOAST, to obviate Large Objects. However, to ease current requirements,
I hope I'm doing something really dumb.

Thoughts?

thanks,
-jeremy