Re: NT install

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: David <cupcake(at)sdf(dot)lonestar(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NT install
Date: 2001-10-10 00:44:33
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

David,

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 09:27:19PM +0000, David wrote:
> I have installed cygwin as of late September, 2001, and cygipc-1_10-1 and
> was trying to do the gmake today as part of the postgresql install and I
> received this error:
>
> gcc -02 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations command.o
> common.o help.o input.o stringutils.o mainloop.o copy.o startup.o prompt.o
> variables.o large_obj.o print.o describe.o tab-complete.o -L../../../src/interfaces/libpg
> -lpg -L/usr/local/lib -g -lz -lcrypt -lreadline -lcygipc -o psql
> tab-complete.o(.text+0x2a36):tab-complete.c: undefined reference
> to `filename_completion_function`
> [snip]
>
> Do you think I should remove the reference to filename_completion_function?

No. The pristine PostgreSQL 7.1.3 source needs to be patched to build
against readline 4.2 (or later) under Cygwin. I recommend using the
already patched for Cygwin PostgreSQL source that is available on the
Cygwin mirrors. Of course, this is only if the pre-built binary does
not meet your needs.

> In the broader context, I am trying to use postgresql on my WindowsNT
> to access a sybase database using ODBC.
>
> Does anyone know of this having been done successfully? Are there
> focused and detailed instructions for this purpose?

Sorry, I have no experience in this area so I can't help you with
this one.

Jason