Re: PostgreSQL in a NT-Environment

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Tobias Tost1 <TTOST(at)de(dot)ibm(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL in a NT-Environment
Date: 2001-08-31 14:36:32
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Tobias,

In the future, please post to pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org instead of
sending private email so others can benefit too.

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 01:15:42PM +0200, Tobias Tost1 wrote:
> I saw at the postgresql-site that you got the database-system running in a
> cygwin in windows nt!? The problem is the following: I'm running an MS
> SQL-Server at the moment, but I have severe problems in getting licenses
> and the whole CAL-Stuff for my purposes. I have developed a Application
> that uses things like Variables, stored procedures, Triggers and temporary
> Tables, I found in postgressql my solution. The problem is, that I cannot
> make my sql server on nt to a PostgreSQL-Server in Linux. I'm just a
> student working here for some bucks and experiences. :)
> Is the cygwin-pgsql-solution stable? how is the perfomance, through the
> odbc-driver available? do you know if there are any existing good frontends
> for user-management and so on for pgsql? (my collegues do not want to to
> raw console-work. dunno why, but I have no chance to get the pgsql running
> when i do not have fancy, coloured screens to show. :( )

I'm not qualified to answer all you the above. Maybe someone from the
pgsql-cygwin list will offer their help. However, see the following
for some of Cygwin PostgreSQL's promise and problems:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2001-08/msg00029.php

Jason