Escape Processing problems

From: "Thomas O'Dowd" <tom(at)nooper(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Escape Processing problems
Date: 2001-08-28 14:57:21
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi all,

The Connection.EscapeSQL() routine is broken IMHO . Actually, I'm not
sure why it is trying to fix strings starting with "{d" in the first place?

Anyway, currently I've turned it off in the statement with
setEscapeProcessing(false)

The problem I'm having is that "{d" appears in the data that I'm trying
to store and its not a date. So data like the following...

.....blahhh}; {blahhh }; {docs=""};

is turning into...

.....blahhh}; {blahhh }; ocs="" ;
^^ ^

What's more is if I have something like "{d....." and there is no ending
brace, it will throw a StringIndexOutOfBoundsException as the return
value of the indexOf() looking for the closing brace will not find one
and thus setCharAt() will use an illegal index of -1 :(

The routine is below for reference... Can anyone explain why it is trying
to do this on me in the first place. I would think escape processing would
do something a little different like watching my single quotes etc.

public String EscapeSQL(String sql) {
//if (DEBUG) { System.out.println ("parseSQLEscapes called"); }

// If we find a "{d", assume we have a date escape.
//
// Since the date escape syntax is very close to the
// native Postgres date format, we just remove the escape
// delimiters.
//
// This implementation could use some optimization, but it has
// worked in practice for two years of solid use.
int index = sql.indexOf("{d");
while (index != -1) {
//System.out.println ("escape found at index: " + index);
StringBuffer buf = new StringBuffer(sql);
buf.setCharAt(index, ' ');
buf.setCharAt(index + 1, ' ');
buf.setCharAt(sql.indexOf('}', index), ' ');
sql = new String(buf);
index = sql.indexOf("{d");
}
//System.out.println ("modified SQL: " + sql);
return sql;
}

Cheers,

Tom.