RE: Request to code on pgAdmin II

From: dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk
To: Bryan Cross <bryan(at)tresperros(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: RE: Request to code on pgAdmin II
Date: 2001-08-12 21:15:00
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Bryan,

We'd welcome any input you can give to the
pgAdmin II project. I don't know how you found out
about it though, I've only announced the project on
the pgadmin-hackers(at)greatbridge(dot)org list!
Anyway incase you are not on that list and just
stumbled across thhe new site, here's some
background:

The new codebase was made public only a few
days ago. It is based on months of hard work on
my part and is still very new. Currently the only
specs more detailed than you've found are in my
head - in fact things like the Migration Wizard can't
even be started yet as I haven't built the Plugin
support yet (that'll be later this week).

Anyway, to get to the point, I intend to write the
initial code for the migration wizard myself based
on my experience with the old pgAdmin - of course
I'm always open to any suggestion re the design.

The version control is another matter though if you
want to look into it. Some thoughts I had had;

- vc should be enabled per database
- all appropriate pgXxx classes in pgSchema
should have a Versions collection. This will be a
collection on the same class, but without
add/drop/edit methods, writable properties or
another Versions collection.
- vc should be implemented in pgSchema, which
should autodetect if it's enabled. Rollback methods
must be included.
- data storage should be in the db, in the minimum
no. of tables possible which pgSchema must
maintain/upgrade/self repair. All object versions
should include uid, timestamp & version no. as well
as *all* properties of the object.

Does that sound like something you'd like to look
at?

As for the vb6 thing, yes, we are standardising on
it (there's already about 15k lines of code!), but will
look at vb7 when it comes out. It is possible that
plugins or exporters could be written in other
languages I presume, but I've not tried it myself.

Regards, Dave.