Re: upgrading RPM query

From: Ragnar Kjørstad <postgres(at)ragnark(dot)vestdata(dot)no>
To: Gary Stainburn <gary(dot)stainburn(at)ringways(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: upgrading RPM query
Date: 2001-08-08 17:49:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 05:15:13PM +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hmmm,
>
> I downloaded the postgresql-7.1.2 rpms and tried to install them - I had 20
> lines of failed dependancies. I downloaded the RPMS for those, and ended up
> with 70+ lines of failed dependancies.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should go next (excluding th pub
> - I've already taken on that suggestion).

My guess is that you get failed dependancies because the RPM is built
against newer libraries. Libraries tend to depend on other libraries and
so on, so you'll end up with replacing your whole system.

The two easiest options are:
1. Upgrade to a newer distribution
2. Get the SRPM and compile the RPM yourself - it will then be built
against your libraries and should install without errors. (you will
probably have to install some additional development packages to compile
the RPM though).

--
Ragnar Kjorstad