Re: From TODO, XML?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: From TODO, XML?
Date: 2001-07-30 03:19:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I was looking over the todo list and saw that someone wanted to support XML. I
> have some quick and dirty stuff that could be used.
>
> OK, what should the feature look like?
>
> Should it be grafted onto pg_dump or should a new utility pg_xml be created?
>
> How strict should it be? A stricter parser is easier to write, one can use a
> library, unfortunately most xml is crap and for the utility to be useful, it
> has to be real fuzzy.
>
> Any input would be appreciated.

The updated TODO item is:

* Add XML interface: psql, pg_dump, COPY, separate server (?)

I am unsure where we want it. We could do COPY and hence a flag in
pg_dump, or psql like we do HTML from psql. A separate server would
accept XML queries and return results.

What do people want?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us