Re: [ODBC] Re: ODBC Interface version 07_01_0005, problem with C++ exceptions

From: Kristis Makris <kristis(dot)makris(at)datasoft(dot)com>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: mister_ics(at)hotmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ODBC] Re: ODBC Interface version 07_01_0005, problem with C++ exceptions
Date: 2001-06-14 15:37:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-odbc

Hello,

On 14 Jun 2001 15:51:18 +0900, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> Mister X wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > developing in MFC/Visual Studio 6 I've encountered a strange problem
> > in last version of ODBC Driver (actually 07_01_0005). Each time a SQL
> > error occours, the istructions TRY/ CATCH doesn't report the error
> > string: the CDBException ' member m_strError is empty
> > Follows an example:
> >
> > // MFC C++ Code
> >
> > CDatabase myDB;
> >
> > [.....] // Init and Open database...
> >
> > //create a table with a WRONG SQL statement:
> >
> > CString sSQLStatement="CREATE TABLE Dummy ( int DummyID, )";
> > // The statement is WRONG beacuse the comma
> > after the last column definition.
> >
> > //Executes The statement and catch errors:
> >
> > TRY
> > {
> > myDB.ExecuteSQL(sSQLStatement);
> > }
> > CATCH(CDBException, e)
> > {
> > AfxMessageBox(e->m_strError);
> > }
> > END_CATCH
> >
> > Well, with driver version v06-50-0000 i got the string "Error
> > creating the table; ERROR: parser: parse error at or near ")", that
> > it is the correct error message from the back-end.
> > Instead, with Version 07_01_0005 of the ODBC driver, the string
> > e->m_strError is always empty, and the member m_nRetCode of
> > CDBException class is = -1;
>
> Probably the cause is the same as another bug I recently
> found. I'm asking pgsql-obdc ML why the error handling was
> changed.
>
> regards,
> Hiroshi Inoue

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

I don't whether the following has anything to do with this problem, but
while developing in VC++ 6 I've come across a few cases where I've sent
a valid SQL statement through ODBC that did not take any effect. I've
sent an UPDATE statement to postrgres, but nothing was updated. I did
not get any errors/exceptions from the driver in a similar try/catch
block (so I assumed that the statement was accepted and processed fine).
I looked into the C:\psqlodbc_xxx.log file, and did not even see a line
in it that shows that the statement was sent to the backend. I only saw
I couple of lines that were used to initiate the connection. (driver
7.01.00.05)

I haven't been able to reproduce this yet, but I'd be glad to provide a
copy of the log and some snippet code if I come across it again.

PS. I've been using try/catch instead of TRY/CATCH, and haven't come
across the problem described here yet. Could this have something to do
with VC++'s TRY/CATCH macros?

Kristis Makris Datasoft Coproration
kristis(dot)makris(at)datasoft(dot)com http://www.datasoft.com