Re: Fwd: building the client libraries with gcc?

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Jerry Asher <jerry(at)hollyjerry(dot)org>
Cc: Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: building the client libraries with gcc?
Date: 2001-06-05 19:44:03
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Jerry,

Please post to pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org instead of sending private
email so others can benefit too.

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 09:50:05AM -0700, Jerry Asher wrote:
> I need to build the postgres driver used by the opensource aolserver
> webserver. As the phrase driver implies, this little piece of glue enables
> aolserver applications to interact with postgres.
>
> I have successfully built pg 7.1.2 on cygwin, but find that my driver needs
> a piece of pg that isn't built with the standard 7.1.2 cygwin
> configuration, namely: I need pglib.dll and pglibdll.lib, the dll and the
> library interace. (I gather these are referred to as the client libraries.)

I thought that I was providing you for what you were looking in
postgresql-7.1.2-1-win32.tar.gz.

> I think what I need is neither mingw nor mno-cygwin (but thank you for
> pointing those out, I learn more everyday). I think what I need is more
> like a gcc and make front-end that implements a cygwin solution, but uses
> the Microsoft syntaxes for say vc++ arguments and make
> arguments. Right? The problems I am having with the pg client libs are
> probably two: one is that the pg client libs are built using microsoft
> tools, and two is that they may not be using gcc compatible (ansi?)
> C. Assuming they are ansi c, then to build them easily I would just need
> some sort of microsoft nmake emulator....

The above is very confusing and difficult to understand. Are you trying
to build a Win32 version of the pg client libs? Are you trying to use
(i.e., link with) a Win32 version of the pg client libs? What are the
tools used to build your AOLserver stuff? Please try to post a lucid
account of what you are trying to accomplish.

BTW, you can link MSVC++ libraries into Mingw and Cygwin gcc -mno-cygwin
executables and vice versa.

> I've downloaded the client libs you've put together. It looks as though I
> will most likely have to dig out my VCC+ disks somewhere.
>
> Let's say that in the very long run, I convert the pg client libs back to a
> cygwin/gcc/make compatible format. Where should I go to contribute that back?

Why are you asking me the above? This kind of question is much more
appropriate for one of the PostgreSQL mailing lists. BTW, the pg
client libs already exist in cygwin/gcc/make compatible format.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering Phone: 732.264.8770 x235