2 problems

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 2 problems
Date: 2001-05-29 20:06:18
Lists: pgsql-ports

Sorry if this is the wrong list; I'm too new to this to tell whether
these are general problems or Mac OS X problems, and I don't want to
start out by cross-posting ;-) I had 2 minor problems building PostgresQL
7.1 on a freshly-installed Mac OS X (10.0.3).

---
1
---

The first attempt at make install produced the following error:

gzip -d -c postgres.tar.gz | (cd /usr/local/bin/pgsql/doc/html && /usr/
bin/tar xf -)
tar: Unable to set file uid/gid of index.html <No such file or directory>

I looked; index.html was there; I ran make install again and it completed.

Is this some weird file-system cache synchronization thing with Mac OS X?
Or is it actually a bug in the install script?

---
2
---

Following the short version of instructions at the top of INSTALL, the
initdb failed because it didn't have write access in /usr/local/pgsql/. I
didn't ever notice if the make install gave an error about failing to set
privileges there, so I don't know the actual sequence.

Shouldn't adduser postgres come before make install? And either make
install set the privileges or be run as user postgresql? Is this a bug in
the instructions related to the author having previously had postgres
built on his system? Or is it some goofy Mac OS X thing? Anyway, I fixed
the privileges and postgres works (well, select * from pg_tables works),
so I don't need help fixing it.

I had read that 7.1 compiles as distributed on Mac OS X, and found that
to not be the case--almost, but not quite. (In addition to fixing these
bugs, if they are bugs, it would also be worth linking to a Mac OS X
specific page for installation--some place that would cover the other
small differences, make instead of gmake, no adduser command...)

Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com
http://www.killerbytes.com/
(303) 665-7007 voice