DROP USER results in backend closure

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: DROP USER results in backend closure
Date: 2001-05-26 12:21:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

J. Michael Caine (jmcaine(at)alum(dot)rpi(dot)edu) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
DROP USER results in backend closure

Long Description
Just switched to Debian distro and got postgresql set up. (Actually, comes "out of the box" quite nice!) As user 'postgres', I added a user, 'jmcaine', and made him a superuser. Then I su'd to 'jmcaine', created a database (say, 'test2'), and su'd back to 'postgres'. I used 'psql test' to open a client (note I did NOT open into 'test2', which was created by jmcaine -- 'test' was created by 'postgres'). I then attempted to 'DROP USER jmcaine'. According to the doco, I expected it to tell me I wasn't allowed to drop a user while databases created by that user still existed. Instead, I got booted off the client with the message:

before or while processing the request.
We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is impossible. Terminating.

As soon as I said 'DROP DATABASE test2', I was allowed to 'DROP USER jmcaine'. But anytime before that I was kicked off as mentioned. Note also that I used the (Linux - bash) shell to su between users, which were real system users, rather than '\connect'ing as different users. I'm not sure if this makes a difference.

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report