Re: Case sensitivity

From: Ludek Finstrle <xfinstrl(at)informatics(dot)muni(dot)cz>
To: Robert Hurst <r_hurst(at)butler(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Case sensitivity
Date: 2001-05-11 13:57:25
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> A suggestion for a feature to add to your already wonderful ODBC capability.
> Could you add a boolean option that enables/disables case sensitivity with
> ODBC calls? Consider this example, a Delphi client sends:
>
> select * from logins where "Logins"."Login"='rhurst'
>
> I know it looks ridiculous. This currently has the ill effect of forcing
> pgsql to look for the table 'logins' (case sensitive) when only 'Logins'
> exist! Wouldn't it be nice if I could set an ignore-case flag for ODBC?

Hello,

IMHO it isn't function for frontend (ODBC) but it's for backend
(PostgreSQL). And PostgreSQL support ILIKE which do what you want.
In other way you can do in Delphi something like that:

insert into logins .... VALUES (...,UPPER(login),...)
and then
select * from logins where "Logins"."Login"=UPPER('rhurst')

(I'm not sure about UPPER and now I can't get help fo postgres)

Regards

Luf