Re: SAPDB Open Souce

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew McMillan <andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SAPDB Open Souce
Date: 2001-04-29 16:30:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian wrote: > > I downloaded it. The directories are
> two characters in length, the > files are numbers, and it is a
> mixture of C++, Python, and Pascal. Need > I say more. :-)
>
> OK, I'll bite: you need to say more.
>
> What is it like at handling transactions? What sort of full-text
> indexing does it have? Can I have transactions within transactions?
> What sort of tools are available for managing database extents?
> How compliant is it with the various SQL standards? How does
> performance compare with PostgreSQL and others? Does it have
> an extensible type system? Does it have an 'internal' language
> to compare with PL/SQL or PL/PGSQL? How well does it scale on
> SMP systems? Can I perform a single query across multiple
> databases? What performance monitoring tools does it come with?
>
> Hell, in a statement like that you don't even indicate if those
> directories are so-named within the source code, or in an
> installed data environment. Whichever environment they do apply
> to, however, I'm sure there are good systems in place for dealing
> with them. And of course C++, Python and Pascal are all languages
> with plenty of proponents, so there's no problem with those.
>
> Your statement is so light on utility that it persuades me to
> download it for myself and try it - but that is presumably
> exactly the effect you were after, wasn't it?

OK, basically, I couldn't figure out any of it. I am sure there are
useful things in there, but I can't figure out how to find any of them.
Hopefully others will be better at it than I am.

And yes, it would be good for people to look over the code and see if
they can find valuable things in it.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us