Why is this taking so damn long?

From: Paul Tomblin <ptomblin(at)xcski(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Why is this taking so damn long?
Date: 2001-04-28 18:18:42
Lists: pgsql-general

I just added a boolean column to an existing database with 70,000 records.
I then tried to set all the existing columns to true using
update waypoint set ispublic = TRUE;
but it's taken over an hour so far.

Why?

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin(at)xcski(dot)com>, not speaking for anybody
"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the