Re: [HACKERS] Re: [PORTS] pgmonitor and Solaris

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mathijs Brands <mathijs(at)ilse(dot)nl>
Cc: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-ports <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [PORTS] pgmonitor and Solaris
Date: 2001-03-28 23:07:46
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 05:33:05PM -0500, Bruce Momjian allegedly wrote:
> > Sure 'ps -U' will work, but it was reported that on Solaris, plain ps
> > can't show the postgres status display, while ucb/ps can. I don't need
> > specific columns. What I need is the postgres status parameters, and if
> > possible, a user restriction to ps for performance reasons.
>
> My mistake. Have a look at this snippet from the ps manpage:
>
> | args The command with all its arguments as a string. The
> | implementation may truncate this value to the field
> | width; it is implementation-dependent whether any
> | further truncation occurs. It is unspecified whether
> | the string represented is a version of the argument
> | list as it was passed to the command when it started,
> | or is a version of the arguments as they may have been
> | modified by the application. Applications cannot
> | depend on being able to modify their argument list and
> | having that modification be reflected in the output of
> | ps. The Solaris implementation limits the string to
> | 80 bytes; the string is the version of the argument
> | list as it was passed to the command when it started.
>
> Note the last line...

OK, I need someone on Solaris to test ps and /ucb/ps with regard to user
restriction inside ps, and display of PostgreSQL status display.

I have uploaded a new pgmonitor 0.33 version that has a show_all
configuration parameter. This will show all PostgreSQL-owned processes
for use on operating systems that don't have PostgreSQL status display.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us