Re: Re: Fixes to index pages

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Fixes to index pages
Date: 2001-02-22 02:14:46
Lists: pgsql-patches

> > > You have added the following TODO recently.
> > > * Add deleted bit to index tuples to reduce heap access
> > >
> > > Where would you have the deleted bit in IndexTupleData ?
> >
> > Wow, seems like everyone liked the deleted bit idea. :-)
> >
> > I would put it in bit 13. I would adjust the bit masks in the itup.h
> > file. I assume you are asking why I don't do it in the patch,
>
> I don't think it's a good idea to fill bit 13 by force.
> There's only 1 bit unused. IMHO there must be a discussion
> about how to use the bit.

I am not doing anything to 7.1, just 7.2. My patch is just an attempt
to make the source accurate. If you prefer, I will document the bit as
"unused" and let someone else change it later.

If I document the bit as "unused" I can apply the patch to 7.1 because
then the patch has no affect except to clean up the source labels.
Comments?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size