Re: Regresstion Tests do not find PGLIB directory

From: Emily Carl <emilyac(at)wanet(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: emilyac(at)seada(dot)com
Subject: Re: Regresstion Tests do not find PGLIB directory
Date: 2001-02-16 21:29:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> LIBDIR should be in src/Makefile.global. What does it say there?

src/Makefile.global contains:

>>POSTGRESDIR= /export/home/postgres/postgresql-7.0.3
>>
>># Where the postgres executables live (changeable by just putting them
>># somewhere else and putting that directory in your shell PATH)
>>BINDIR= $(POSTGRESDIR)/bin
>>
>># Where libpq.a gets installed. You must put it where your loader will
>># look for it if you wish to use the -lpq convention. Otherwise you
>># can just put the absolute pathname to the library at the end of your
>># command line.
>>LIBDIR= $(POSTGRESDIR)/lib

Does this definition come in to play in the make done down
in the src/test/regress directory? src/test/regress/README
Instructions state:
" To prepare for regression testing, do "make all" in the regression test
directory. This compiles a 'C' program with PostgreSQL extension functions
..."

- From what I am seeing, it does not. I have not added any
definitions of LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LIBDIR elsewhere such as in the
/etc/profile file (did make the suggested entry in the /etc/ld.so.conf).

Thomas Lockhart wrote:

>You need to run ldconfig to actually update the shared library database.
>Or reboot, since usually ldconfig is run at boot time.

Did run ldconfig.

>Did the instructions mention /etc/ld.so.conf but not ldconfig? Perhaps
>you can suggest where in the docs we can make it clearer, or better yet,
>perhaps you can send patches for the doc/src/sgml/*.sgml files.

Instructions correctly say to run ldconfig after editing /etc/ld.so.conf.
No doc changes on ldconfig are needed.

Emily.
Software Design Associates, Inc.