Re: Open 7.1 items

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.1 items
Date: 2001-02-09 17:56:33
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Source Code Changes
> > -------------------
>
> > Fix ipcclean on Linux
>
> It's fixed. Or what is the problem?

The issue was that the ipcs code did not work on Linux. In fact,
reference to variable $ipcs_pid doesn't even work because it is not
defined. I believe you stated you would get that working.

> > unixODBC
>
> This would be a new feature. I'm having some private conversation with
> the unixODBC maintainer about how to handle this. We'll work on it for
> 7.2.

Item removed.

> > Documentation Changes
> > ---------------------
> > Fix PL/perl (Alex Kapranoff)
>
> Not sure how to handle this other than backpatching to 7.0 that it doesn't
> work. ;-) (i.e.: done)

That is all I needed to know. Item removed.

> > Add OUTER JOINs (Tom)
>
> Documented

Removed.

> > Function manager overhaul (Tom)
>
> Looks documented enough to me.

Removed.

> > Grand Unified Configuration scheme/GUC. Many options can now be set in
> > data/postgresql.conf, postmaster/postgres flags, or SET commands (Peter E)
> > Overhaul initdb process (Tom, Peter E)
> > Overhaul of inherited tables; inherited tables now accessed by default;
> > new ONLY keyword prevents it (Chris Bitmead, Tom)
>
> done, done, done
>
> (although I don't recall me "overhauling" initdb)

Removed. Overhaul as in clean up how it works.

> > Allow pg_hba.conf secondary password file to specify only username (Peter E)
> > New SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS (Thomas)
> > Add WITHOUT TIME ZONE type qualifier (Thomas)
>
> done, done, done
>
> > New VARIANCE and STDDEV() aggregates
> > New ESCAPE option to LIKE (Thomas)
> > New case-insensitive LIKE - ILIKE (Thomas)
>
> done, done, done

All removed.

> > Allow SQL functions to be used in more contexts (Tom)
>
> That probably doesn't need documentation.

Not sure if we mention that only non-SQL functions can be used in
certain contexts, while they can now be used. What contexts did we add.
I believe it was functional indexes. Item removed.

> > New pg_config utility (Peter E)
> > New PL/pgSQL EXECUTE command which allows dynamic SQL and utility statements
> > (Jan)
>
> > New quote_identifiers() and quote_literal() functions (Jan)
>
> done, done, done
>
> > New ALTER TABLE table OWNER TO user command (Mark Hollomon)
> > Allow subselects in FROM, i.e. FROM (SELECT ...) [AS] alias (Tom)
>
> done, done

All removed.

> > New pg_service.conf file (Mario Weilguni)
>
> As per previous agreement, this will not be an official feature in 7.1.
> Needs further review.

Removed from HISTORY & release.sgml.

> > New pg_dumpall --globals-only option (Peter E)
> > New CHECKPOINT command for WAL which creates new WAL log file (Vadim)
> > New AT TIME ZONE syntax (Thomas)
> > Allow location of Unix domain socket to be configurable (David J. MacKenzie)
> > Allow postmaster to listen on a specific IP address (David J. MacKenzie)
> > Allow socket path name to be specified in hostname by using leading slash
> > (David J. MacKenzie)
> > Allow CREATE DATABASE to specify template database (Tom)
> > New pg_dump --globals-only option (Peter E)
>
> Check all those.
>
> > Allow BIGINT as synonym for INT8 (Peter E)
> > New BIT and BIT VARYING types (Adriaan Joubert, Tom, Peter E)
> > Fix CIDR output formatting (Tom)
> > New CIDR abbrev() function (Tom)
> > Write-Ahead Log (WAL) to provide crash recovery with less performance
> > overhead (Vadim)
>
> Check

All removed.

> > New function manager call conventions (Tom)
>
> Hmm, I've seen this before...

Just asking if we need to addition documentation for the change.

> > New configure --enable-syslog option (Peter E)
> > configure script moved to top level, not /src (Peter E)
> > New configure --with-python option (Peter E)
> > New OpenSSL configuration option (Magnus, Peter E)
> > Remove colon and semi-colon operators (Thomas)
>
> All good.
>
> > Rename ichar() to chr() (Karel)
>
> chr() is documented.

All removed.

> > Allow *BSD's libedit instead of readline (Peter)
>
> *BSD should be "NetBSD". Not documented, yet.

Updated HISTORY & release.sgml.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us