Re: Still lockin up...

From: Rasputin <rasputin(at)FreeBSD-uk(dot)eu(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Still lockin up...
Date: 2001-01-29 09:39:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

* Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> [010127 19:57]:
> Herbie Pabst <herbie(at)nextearth(dot)com> writes:
> > Thank you for replying. I now have gotten as far as doing "initdb" and
> > have a template1 in "base" directory. Now when I run Postmaster it asks
> > for a data path, I use "-D" option and supply the path and run
> > postmaster but if locks up the computer and pgsql never starts.

Show us the whole command line.
> It's hardly likely that it "locks up the computer".

To be fair, Tom , I've had similar problems on some platforms
where the /etc/rc.d initscripts are b0rken, and the
" su - pgsql " line has been messed up so that it execs into
a postmaster shell.

If this is the case, the system will hang on bootup, because init
expects these scripts to return (whic hwon't happen unitl after
postmaster exits).

Herbie, if you are running postgres from the command line, stop it :)
If not , tell us where you got it and what script you're running.

--
Rasputin
Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns