Re: outer join in PostgreSql

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: outer join in PostgreSql
Date: 2001-01-17 17:14:26
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-sql

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 06:44:18PM +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> To get a feel you could use MS Access visual query builder and then view
> the source.
> I have not checked it lately, but it very likely produces SQL92
> compliant outer joins.

I fired up MS-Access 97SR1, just to see, and here's one result:

SELECT Institution.InstitutionName, InstituteAssignment.PersonID FROM
Institution LEFT JOIN InstituteAssignment ON Institution.InstID =
InstituteAssignment.InstID;

I'm surprised: looks pretty standard, to me.

Ross
--
Open source code is like a natural resource, it's the result of providing
food and sunshine to programmers, and then staying out of their way.