Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL CVS Patch

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Horák Daniel <horak(at)sit(dot)plzen-city(dot)cz>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL CVS Patch
Date: 2001-01-16 15:03:16
Lists: pgsql-ports

Tom,

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 12:04:57AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com> writes:
> >> (b) socket file present but no postmaster attached ---
> >> you can get that by kill -9'ing the postmaster ...
>
> > Unfortunately, case b causes psql to hang. Using gdb, I was able to
> > trace that psql hangs calling select() in pqWait() (i.e.,
> > src/interfaces/libpq/fe-misc.c line 739).
>
> > I'm pretty sure that this is Cygwin bug. I will try to formulate
> > a minimal test for submission to the Cygwin list but I'm not that
> > experienced with sockets. Would anyone like to assist me with this
> > endeavor?
>
> You should be able to do something like just creating an unconnected
> socket file and then trying to cat(1) from it ...

I just tried the above on Linux (just to eliminate the Cygwin factor) and
I get the following whether or not postmaster is running:

$ cat /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432
cat: /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432: Invalid argument

What am I missing?

> > I will hold off submitting the patch until this is fixed.
>
> That might be an overreaction --- this does sound like a Cygwin bug
> that should be reported and fixed, but the scenario won't happen in
> normal operations. Furthermore, if we wait for a confirmed Cygwin
> fix, we'll likely miss the 7.1 release. I'd suggest going ahead and
> enabling AF_UNIX socket support for Cygwin; worst case is that we
> warn people to be wary of it in Cygwin versions < something-or-other.

The patch has been submitted. Unfortunately, I just found two more
issues:

1. postmaster will start up without complaining about an already existing
unconnected socket file. It should exit with the following error:

$ postmaster
FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Address already in use
Is another postmaster already running on that port?
If not, remove socket node (/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432) and retry.
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster: cannot create UNIX stream port

2. A second postmaster will exit as appropriate but will not display the
above error message. Instead it displays the following:

$ postmaster
Lock file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid" already exists.
Is another postmaster (pid 385) running in "/usr/local/pgsql/data"?

With all of these issues, does it still make sense to enable UNIX domain
sockets for Cygwin?

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235